Aiden - Data and Digitization

Chapters 2 and 3 definitely helped me expand my horizons on what I know about Digital Humanities just from a technical point of view. It helped push forward my understanding of exactly what goes into different types of stat manipulation and data usage in a DH project. As someone not super knowledgable or interested in coding or computers I'm not sure whether I will be applying what I learned to my project myself, which is a 9/11 Memorial Timeline, but it was cool nonetheless to get exposed to the process and to remind myself (especially in the age of AI) that all of these websites/projects/etc. didn't just pop up one day, but that they had to be meticulously coded to make sure that it was presented in the right way.

All of this information definitely helped me look at my project in a different way. Knowing what it actually took to encode all of the pictures and words that I am seeing, and to make it as user-friendly and accessible as it is, helped me gain a sort of appreciation for it. Particularly in the case of a 9/11 timeline, all of the historical documents, stats, and analysis that went into constructing it is pretty astounding when the steps are broken down for you like they are in Chapters 2 and 3.

One quote that stuck out from page 26 helped me relate it back to our partner assignments where my group looked at PARADISEC. The quote was "Issues of sustainability also need to be built into project design and management. Will the files still be able to be accessed and used or will they be obsolete, as many programs do not include retrospective updates?" I find this DH sub-genre of presentation and archiving data really interesting and important, because as much as computers and technology have evolved over the years it is a certainty that old records and means of storing information are at risk of being lost.

Comments

  1. Preservation is such a huge part of DH. And really, simple coding (HTML/Java) are the best ways to assure your database/site is stable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is really interesting to think about all the work that goes into every website. Especially the upkeep for websites that have been around for years. I liked seeing the direction your mind went especially since I didn't think about that at first!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that these chapters helped me understand the more intricate details that goes into web designs and different digital humanity projects. Encoding is a huge part of digital humanities which I also now understand.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

What is DH?

Intro!!!