Data and Digitization: 

After reading the next two chapters of the textbook, my knowledge of what Digital Humanities is and how it operates has definitely shifted and grown. Chapter 2 explains the difference between structured and unstructured data. Structured data is comprised of entities that are explicit and unambiguous, like numbers or true/false statements. Unstructured data is known to be more ambiguous and unclear, like natural language for instance. The distinction between these two concepts has ramifications for the ways that information can be used, shared, displayed, and analyzed. Unstructured data generally refers to texts, images and other digitally encoded information that hasn’t had a secondary structure imposed upon it. The concept of unstructured and structured data was very new for me to read and learn about. I am familiar with some of the ideas talked about in chapter 2, such as these two, but now I have a better idea of what unstructured and structured data refers to and how it works in the concept of Digital Humanities. 

In chapter 3, what stood out to me the most was the importance of HTML. HTML is described as a descriptive language that helps identify the structural elements of a document. This means it can identify paragraphs and headings, but does not need to know the specific meaning of the content being produced. That’s something that I don’t think I’ve ever thought of before, so it was interesting to read more about it and get a better technological understanding on. These concepts and ideas are all still new to me, as I am not really all that technologically advanced, hence one of the reasons I enrolled in the class. As for how these two readings can be applied to the project I have chosen, which is The Valley of the Shadow, the information I learned about HTML can structure and navigate the digital archives of the Civil War letters and diaries. And the information from chapter 2 can help allow me to bridge raw narrative history with computational analytics as I go about creating my project.


Comments

  1. Yes, exploring such a large database of unstructured data makes like yours makes you think about how it is structured and held together. I'm guessing it's built in HTML, but not sure about the cataloguing system. Will be fun to learn more about it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

What is DH?

Intro!!!