Data Mining & Information Visualization

 I found the content of the assigned chapters especially relevant to the DH project I am currently analyzing. These chapters touched on both data mining and information visualization, two key aspects of what it means to translate humanities into the digital world. Data mining is a type of analysis that looks for patterns and extracts meaningful information from digital files. The practice of ‘data mining’ has been incorporated into the general study of humanities in a multitude of ways - on both small scales and for larger projects. Data mining has become an extremely useful tool for researchers who want to analyze digitized text, music, recordings, images, etc. Information visualization is a concept that I have already been familiar with without realizing there was a term to necessarily describe this as a practice. This is the concept of designing graphics/visuals by translating data into clear and readable visual formats. As the chapter describes, visualization in this sense is easily consumed more so than it takes to be produced. 


Considering the project I’m analyzing, both of these key terms relate closely to what I am trying to argue as my main point for my essay. I am arguing generally for the successful accessibility that has been achieved by the developer of my Salem Witch Trials database. The researcher spearheading this project must have done lengthy work for data mining to make this possible. Similarly as in the Six Degrees of Francis Bacon website. This website is a hub of information collected from a variety of sources, brought together and digitized to create a space where the general interested public can use it for educational or personal purpose. The information collected was condensed into a simplified visual form that is easy to understand and consume, compared to the amounts of effort put in by project colleagues to make this possible. The chapters made this process easy to understand, and I can appreciate the effort that went into making my project so successful in this way. 

Comments

  1. Data mining is an essential part of digital humanities, and I think you project on the Salem Witch Trials is a great example of it; a large collection of data put into one space to make it easily accessible to the reader. And I agree that information visualization is also a key aspect of translating data into digestible information in the digital world. Graphics can truly change the way information is interoperated

    ReplyDelete
  2. The accessibility and ease of navigating your website was definitely created with some smart data visualization choices! I find data visualization to be one of the most important aspects of digital humanities when it comes to drawing people in to view your website and making it interesting enough for them to stay.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

What is DH?

Intro!!!