Gabby - What is DH?
Digital humanities is our online collection of human life since technology has existed. It acts as an archive into the past and gateway for growth into the future. With the digital world, our possibilities to share and explore become virtually endless.
I’ve come to understand that digital humanities is not easily defined. It’s not one thing or another, rather a collection of many different things that just work to reinforce our cultural understanding of one another. It’s definitely easier to answer the question “What is digital humanities?" rather than, “What isn't digital humanities?”. Digital humanities exist around us without us having to do any real ‘discovering’ of our own. Humanities in the digital world offers us a new perspective to explore the past, present, future, and each other’s lives as many of us in the world have some kind of access to technology.
One thing that came to mind when I began thinking about digital humanities is digital music sharing. There are so many apps we can use to share music to one another around the world, like Spotify, Apple Music, Pandora, etc. I use Spotify often to listen for my favorite songs and also discover new music. I love to share music with my friends and family as I listen and so it’s really convenient to be able to share with a link or by becoming mutual friends on different apps. I’ve been listening to music digitally for years and so I’ve seen many phases of Spotify’s development in particular. I’ve noticed how much more music has become available over the years and how accessible it’s become for smaller artists to share their music globally. It’s a great option to discover new sounds and even dig into new cultures through music. There’s even features to listen to podcasts which I’ve enjoyed tapping into while I’m at work or studying.
I think music sharing is an interesting idea, I didn't think of this as digital humanities but it definitely makes sense
ReplyDelete