Sydney - What is DH?
Before learning more about digital humanities, I thought it meant using technology for things such as digital art, graphic design, photo editing, or other projects. After reading the textbook and other materials, I realized that digital humanities has a much broader meaning. I'm still not completely sure there is one exact definition, and I think that is part of what makes it so difficult to understand. My definition now would be any project that involves digital technology with humanities to present or better understand a topic.
It doesn't seem like digital humanities is just posting a photo on social media or using AI to form a thought or create an image. There needs to be a connection to the humanities, such as literature, art, etc. The technology used is more of a tool for putting information out there rather than being the main focus. The readings helped me understand that digital humanities is not meant to replace traditional humanities. Instead, the two can work together. Digital tools let people have the opportunity to ask questions and discuss topics in ways that traditional essays and books do not allow them to.
A digital humanities project that I have experienced is Google Arts & Culture. This is a website that enables people to browse through various forms of art, artifacts, museums, and even cultures. You will be able to view various artworks while learning about the artist and the origins of the artwork as well as the cultural importance of the artwork. In my opinion, this is a good digital humanities example as it uses technology and includes parts of art and history. It also provides access to people who cannot visit museums or view certain works of art physically.
I also think that the design of a digital project matters. Images, fonts, colors, videos, and the way information is presented can influence the perception of the material and the way the audience interacts with it. While a simple digital project does not necessarily mean digital humanities, I believe that any use of technology for research or discussion of humanities-related ideas can be considered a part of digital humanities.
In general, from reading the material given, I understood that digital humanities do not have a single definition because of the constant development of new technologies. That is what is the most confusing part of this topic.
I'm right there with you on the definition confusion! I agree that DH appears to have no set definition and I like how you added the effects of constant changes in technology. That aspect means DH is changing right alongside it.
ReplyDeleteI think you made a good point that the design of the project matters. Certain designs and formats influence the way we digest digital humanities. It clarifies that not every digital project is considered a part of digital huminites. Your point allows us to zone in on a very broad topic.
ReplyDeleteGoogle Arts & Culture is a great example, and it also contains many varied examples!
ReplyDelete