What is DH?
Before reading about Digital Humanities, I thought of it mostly as digital art. For example, graphic design and photo editing and things like that. After reading the materials, I see that it's a much broader scope. I'm still not completely sure what the actual definition of the term Digital Humanities would be, and it seems like no one else really knows either. I think my definition now would be any project or presentation that digitizes the humanities in some way, which to me would include most projects nowadays.
Digital Humanities is not simply things like using AI to make images or videos or posting an images, but a combination of using technology with literature, art, history or anything else that falls into the humanities field. I think it still uses human thinking but also technological methods to create a better understanding of the topic. It could include things like a video about history with images and research or a digital marketing flyer using art concepts like colors, fonts and images. It could also be something as simple as a video talking about a book, which combines literature with the digital world.
I think the main idea that separates digital humanities from other digital projects is the fact that it has to combine technology with many other concepts. The readings gave me a better understanding but also confused me more on the definition at the same time. I think the actual definition is up for interpretation.
Something that I've seen that I would consider digital humanities was a project I did in class that was a video talking about research I did The video included many different readings as well as images and fonts. I would consider this digital media as it combines concepts from the humanities into a digital format.
The readings essentially had the same affect on me in terms in also gave me a much broader scope of the whole subject. I also agree that there seems to be no set, or even universally agreed on definition of Digital Humanities.
ReplyDelete