What is DH?
Digital Humanities combines digital services with humanities materials. In its basic form, every digital humanities project starts with some kind of material. This could be texts, maps, sounds, media files, etc. While some materials are created digitally, most are not. This means that a process of filing, mediation, remediation, and data modeling is needed. The presentation of these materials is either web-based or offline. This could include platforms such as Google Sites or WordPress, or sites specifically used by digital humanists, such as Omeka, Manifold, or Scalor. Not all digital humanities projects are online. These can include hard drives, thumb drives, or other tangible materials. Another important distinction is that the presentation of the digital project is integral to, and relative to, the project's narrative. The project tells a narrative through the presentation itself. This could be how the materials are shown through spacing or importance listed within the project. Digital Humanities contains archives, online websites or projects, digital art, etc. I believe the goal of digital humanities is to give the world easier access to humanities projects and art. Before, a person seeking a humanities project would have to outsource and physically go places. The digital humanities space allowed projects to not only be more widely reached but also adapt to the ever-changing world. It is also important to distinguish what digital humanities isn't so that we can better understand the broad idea as a whole. Digital humanities isn't just an online version of the Humanities. It has transformed how we study and present the humanities as a whole. The Humanities are the goal, and the technology is merely the tool that helps achieve it. Digital Humanities has not replaced the Humanities; it has simply helped curate and create them. And now, because of Digital Humanities, more creative projects have been able to come to life. Before I came into this class and read the basic introductions to digital humanities, I honestly was very confused about the concept. But I believe I now have a much deeper understanding.
I really like your first sentence. "Combines digital services with humanities materials." I think that is a great explanation and definition for digital humanties, because it is not only the material that is presented but it is the way in which we access those materials.
ReplyDeleteYes, create & curate! To assist in humanities methods, deeper understanding of texts, archiving materials, and curating them for a larger audience.
ReplyDelete